Here’s a traditional Eastern European Easter Recipe that uses a lot of eggs!
- 1 stick butter softened
- 3 dozen large eggs
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 quart 2% milk
- Beat butter softened, eggs and salt until no whites of eggs can be seen.
- Warm milk in large pot, then add egg mixture.
- Stir constantly over low heat until whey is higher than eggs. (approximately 20 to 30 minutes or until no more whey, continuous stirring is required to avoid burning or getting cooked egg bits in the egg ball)
- Double layer cheesecloth in medium bowl
- Using a slotted spoon, pour mixture into cheese cloth
- Pull up on cheesecloth to form a ball.
- Tie top of cheescloth tightly with twine.
- Using the long end of the cheese cloth, tie and anchor the cheese cloth to a cabinet handle or wherever it is convenient to hang to drain
- Let hang for 15 minutes, then squeeze firmly (will be hot)
- Every 15 minutes for first hour squeeze then let drain for another hour or so until it appears firm.
- Take egg ball out of cheese cloth.
- Place egg ball in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let sit overnight in refrigerator.
- Slice before serving.